Lemon Apple Pie
Baking with Lemon oil is a great way to infuse a bit of citrus flavour into your desserts. The lemon in this recipe brings a sunny brightness to a traditional fall dessert.
5 cups apple, sliced
¼ cup sugar
1 pinch nutmeg
½ teaspoon cinnamon
6 drops Lemon essential oil
¼ cup flour
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 ⅓ cup butter
1 teaspoon vinegar
6–7 tablespoons of cold water
- Mix all pie filling ingredients together. Cook on medium heat until it comes to a boil. Stir constantly so that sugars don't burn. Set aside.
- For pie crust, place flour, salt, and butter in a medium bowl. Crumb together until little beads form.
- Place the egg, vinegar, and cold water in a separate bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Slowly pour liquid into the bowl with your dry ingredients, folding it in as you pour until flour mixture is moistened. Don't overmix. Divide into four balls.
- Roll out two balls to make the bottom crust and place in two 20cm pie shells.
- Distribute pie filling between two pie crusts.
- Slice one tablespoon of butter and distribute evenly across the top of pie filling.
- Roll out top crust and place on top of filling.
- Pinch bottom and top crust together between thumb and index finger.
- Bake on 175° C for one hour, or until golden brown.
Tip: Brush the top of the crust with egg whites and sprinkle on some raw sugar for a rustic look.