Essential Oil Usage and Safety
ESSENTIAL OIL USAGE
Essential oils can be enjoyed in many ways. Each oil has different properties and it is important to check the recommended application (aromatic, topical, food flavouring) for each oil.
Aromatic – 1-2 drops can be added to a diffuser. Diffusion is one of the simplest methods for enjoying essential oils. Diffusers that use cold air or water are ideal.
Topically – Check that the oil is suitable for topical use. Start with the lowest possible dose (1–2 drops. Because every person is unique, the dose will vary for each individual based on size, age and individual characteristics). Some oils are recommended to be diluted to reduce the likelihood of developing skin sensitivity, especially on sensitive skin. It is advisable to use a carrier oil (such as Fractionated Coconut Oil) to dilute more potent oils and when trying an oil for the first time. The recommended dilution ratio is typically one drop of essential oil to three drops of carrier oil.
Food Flavouring – a few oils are suitable to be added to food and drinks in small amounts (1-2 drops) depending on taste preferences. Remember oils are highly concentrated and a small amount goes a long way. Oils suitable for flavouring include Lemon, Peppermint, Basil, Oregano, Frankincense, Lavender, Coriander.
ESSENTIAL OIL SAFETY
Please seek your health care professional’s advice to meet your specific needs and for any concerns regarding safe essential oil usage for you and your family.
- Avoid contact with eyes, inside of nose and ears
- When applying topically, dilute with Fractionated Coconut Oil for sensitive skin. dōTERRA Touch oils are diluted for your convenience.
- Citrus oils (including Lemon, Wild Orange, Bergamot, Lime, Tangerine, Grapefruit) increase the sensitivity to UV light. Avoid sunlight exposure for 12 hours after applying topically.
- Follow the correct usage guidelines for each oil.
- Please refer to the Product information Page for each oil.
Store in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and heat to maintain optimal quality.
Use small amounts and dilute in a carrier oil if appropriate.
To avoid any misuse, please store safely and out of reach of children.
If you suspect your child has consumed essential oils, please contact the Poisons Information Centre on 13 11 26